Pages

Monday, May 2, 2011

Bull Run

On July 21, 1861 the First Battle of Bull Run occurred. I was in the middle of the fields prepared for anything, then out of nowhere came a giant 20 pound cannon ball. This was the beginning, the beginning of a long well matched battle. Before they knew how long the battle was going to be spectators gathered at the sidelines almost and they ended up getting stuck in the middle of the battle and most of them died. I honestly felt bad for them but it was their idiotic choice. The suffering of many of our fellow soldiers was outrageous because of the lack of supplies America had for healing.

It started out as a peaceful day, ordinary. Gen. P. G. T. Beauregard Lead the Rebs to the Northern half of the U.S. They started to attack us, the Union. Little did anyone know this was the beginning of the American Civil War. Almost everyone that was observing this what was supposed to be a minor, swift battle. Once the battle was on its way most of the young soldiers wandered off the battle grounds because of the extreme heat. That same day we reached our objective along a stream known as Bull Run. One of the Confederate spies gave a warning of what was happening and allowed Southern reinforcements to be moved from the Shenandoah Valley to Manassas. And thus was born the Civil War.

As we were there resting, the Gray backs had a sneak attack on us. Next thing I knew I had a bayonet through my chest. I fell to the ground in an instant. It was so cold and my hands were trembling from the great pain in my chest. In the few seconds that there were left in my life, one of the soldiers walked by looked down with almost a depressed look and walked away this happened with three other men but finally one person stopped and stayed with me the last seconds and as he walked away all I could see was us celebrating about our first victory of the war.

The first battle of Bull Run was the beginning of the Civil War. Over the first year I was watching over the North and asking God if he could help us get the greater advantages over the south. As we got closer to our victory over the Rebs we got less and less help. When the war was over I got chills down my spine because of the joy in my heart. I only wish I could have lived through what had happened only in the very first battle of the war…


Bibliography
Ibis Communications, Inc. "Battle of bull run." 13 April 2011. http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/bullrun.htm. 13 April 2011 .

No comments:

Post a Comment